Cheese & Wine Christmas Tasting
hosted by Hay Wines
When: Friday 13th November, 7:30pm
Where: Hay Wines – Ledbury Shop
Ticket: £15, bookable and payable in advance
Hay Wines, in conjunction with Four Oaks Fine Foods, will host a delicious tasting, where 5 different cheeses will be matched with 10 fine wines. Michele Longari and Kay Cheesman will guide us through the discovery of beautiful wines and gorgeous cheeses perfectly paired together.
I. MONTGOMERY CHEDDAR
The statesman of the farm, Montgomery’s Mature Cheddar is the epitome of traditional, handmade, unpasteurised Somerset cheddar, matured for 12 months wrapped in muslin cloth on wooden shelves and has deep, rich, nutty flavours. Unpasteurised. Not Vegetarian.
1. REBULI BASTIA, VALDOBBIADENE DOCG SUPERIORE DI CARTIZZE DRY 2014 (£21.99)
2. CHATEAU LAMOTHE-CISSAC, HAUT-MEDOC “CRU BOURGEOIS” 2008 (£16.99)
II. APPLEBY CHESHIRE
The family work closely with Garry Gray, a dedicated cheesemaker, highly experienced and skilled in the art of cheesemaking. The original ingredients; unpasteurised milk, starter culture, rennet, salt and annatto are used. Clean and zesty on the tongue followed by a rich mouth watering finish, which you can enjoy in your mouth long after you have tasted the cheese. Unpasteurised. Vegetarian.
1. ERBERLE, VIOGNIER “PASO ROBLES” 2010 (£21.99)
2. FATTORIA LA MALIOSA, MAREMMA TOSCANA IGT “MALIOSA ROSSO” 2014 (£16.99)
III. OSSAU IRATY
A Basque/Pyrenees mountain cheese with a wonderfully smooth fruity flavour. Made from the milk of the black-faced Manech sheep in the Iraty region of France from a recipe that has remained unchanged for over 150 years. The cheeses have a golden crust and a rich interior, with hints of caramel. Unpasteurised. Not Vegetarian.
1. PADROGGI LA PIOTTA, PINOT NERO OLTREPO PAVESE DOCG CRUASÈ “SUSPIR” 2011 (£14.99)
2. STOBI, VRANEC “VERITAS” RESERVE 2011 (£15.99)
IV. DELICE DE BOURGOGNE
A decadent triple-cream cheese. Rich and full-flavoured with a smooth, velvety, melt-in-the-mouth texture. Don’t let the pungent aroma fool you – this is a subtle cheese with body and depth. Delice de Bourgogne was the creation of the celebrated 18th Century gastronome, Brillat Savarin. He married full-fat cow’s milk with fresh cream. Similar to the classic Brie both in appearance and texture, this sumptuous cheese delivers an extra triple-cream punch to the palate. Pasteurised. Not Vegetarian.
1. BATTLE OF BOSWORTH, CHARDONNAY 2012 (£18.99)
2. CASÉ, PINOT NERO DELL’EMILIA “RIVA DEL CILIEGIO” 2013 (£18.99)
V. CROPWELL BISHOP STILTON
“Our Blue Stilton has a rich tangy flavour, and a velvety-soft texture that makes it melt in the mouth. To allow this Stilton to develop its unique flavour, we normally age it to 12 weeks. We craft this cheese carefully by hand, using methods that have changed little since the 17th Century. It is made using vegetarian rennet, and around 78 litres of fresh, local milk.” Pasteurised. Vegetarian.
1. PODERE PRADAROLO, “FRINIRE DI CICALE” MALVASIA PASSITO (£28.99)
2. CROFT, QUINTA DA ROEDA VINTAGE PORT 2002 (£22.99)