Lani Marlborough Gewurztraminer
Lani Marlborough Gewurztraminer is elegant and aromatic, with floral perfumes and sweet spices on the nose. With lifted notes of Turkish delight and crystallised ginger, the palate has good weight, texture and a sweetness that is finely balanced with its acidity. Length and complexity makes this a great food wine.
Lani Wines is the solo venture of winemaker Alana McGettigan. Since 2002 she has been making wine throughout Italy, France, and her native New Zealand. Always inspired by the lively aromatic, and food friendly wines of Northern Italy and France, her attraction to Gewürztraminer was only natural.
Alana’s aunt and uncle have been growing small parcels of quality Gewürztraminer for several years. It is a fickle grape variety and each year they work hard to control the yield to achieve the right balance between flavour and sugar ripeness.
The soil is reasonably heavy, with some clay deposits. The vineyard is on a plain next to the Opawa river, and the vines are trellised using Vertical Shoot Positioning. The vines are 10-15 years old, and are dry-farmed for the most part.
The growing season was characterised by a long warm and dry summer with moderate fruit yields and intense flavours. The fruit ripened evenly but fairly quickly in the Indian Summer conditions, resulting in good aromatics and particularly strong fruit characters.
The fruit was machine harvested, and transported to the winery where it was destemmed and held cold in the press for six hours in order to extract some delicate phenolics from the skins to add texture and complexity. The fruit was then pressed, and the free run and the pressings were separated. 90% of the wine was fermented with selected yeasts in stainless steel tanks, and the remaining 10% was fermented ‘wild’ in aged barrels to add complexity to the blend.
Lani Marlborough Gewurztraminer – Hay Wines
Returns and Exchanges
All goods should be examined upon receipt, and any claim for loss or breakage notified by email or telephone to Hay Wines immediately. In the case of goods delivered by couriers, unless any claim is made within 24 hours, no compensation, refund or other credit will be available. In the case of damaged goods, Hay Wines reserves the right to collect these.
Ship your items back to us
If you wish to return your order due to an error on our behalf, we are happy to collect or get our courier to collect from the delivery address stated on the invoice, providing the parcel is securely packed in the same way as it was sent out. If you wish to return the parcel yourself please feel free to do so. Once the parcel has returned to us we will refund you the full amount. Please note that refunds may take up to 7 working days to appear in your account.
For more information, view our full Terms and Conditions information.